We’ve been hearing a lot lately from friends and customers about their customer service experiences, and they haven’t all been good! As you can imagine, Chris had had more than his fair share of dealing with various customer service departments and has a few tips.
- Remember that the person on the other end of the phone is human. They are probably not being paid very much, and they don’t get a lot of breaks. Be kind to them.
- Also, the Reps do have scripts that they must follow. Although it may seem like a waste of time, be polite and let them get through it.
- If you are having a hard time understanding the Rep, ask them to speak more slowly and to enunciate their words more clearly. (I especially have problems with Indian accents and have found that a slower cadence helps me.) If you’re still having a hard time, ask to speak to someone else. If they refuse, hang up and call back again.
- If you don’t feel like you’re making progress after two to three minutes, hang up and call back again. It’s possible that the Rep is just having a bad day and you need to talk to someone who is not.
- If you’re calling about a service outage for your phone, cable, or other service, request a refund (or credit) for the period the service was out. Some companies will offer a higher value coupon for a different service as compensation. If you’re not going to use that service, or you’re not interested, let them know. If the Rep says they can’t offer a refund or credit, ask to speak with their supervisor. If they still refuse to provide a refund for a service outage, let them know you’ll be reporting them to the Public Utility Commission and/or the Better Business Bureau. http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DORA-PUC/CBON/DORA/1251614750747 http://www.bbb.org/
If you’re still having issues and want some help, give us a call. Chris will be your advocate to get the support you need.
Information about Geek For Hire, Inc.
Chris Eddy of Geek For Hire, Inc. has been providing computer service to families and small businesses with Mac’s and PCs for the past eighteen years. Angie’s List and the BBB rate Geek For Hire very highly. You can find more on our website, or give us a call 303-618-0154. Geek For Hire, Inc. provides onsite service (Tier 3 support) to the Denver / Boulder / Front Range area as well as remote service throughout North America.
We’ve been using Amazon Prime for the past few years. We like the free and fast shipping. With Prime, we have access to online streaming too. Prime is usually $119/year, but you can get a free 30-day trial by clicking on this link: Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.