Chris has been getting a lot of calls recently about hacked Facebook accounts. We’re hearing that a lot of the Facebook hacking starts when you click on a video that a “friend” sent you via Facebook Messenger. Most likely that friend’s account has already been compromised and it is the hacker that is sending you the video.
Here are Chris’ suggestions if your Facebook account has been hacked:
- Change your password.
- Change your security question(s) and answers (in case they were reviewed by someone else).
- Confirm that your recovery email address and your mobile phone number is still yours and not set to someone else’s.
- Tell your friends not to open any videos you’ve sent.
Doing this will help you keep your account yours after you change your password.
Facebook hacking via Messenger:
It seems like we are all using social media more now than we did even a month ago. Try not to send any links at all via Facebook Messenger for the time being. If you do get a video (or other links) on Facebook Messenger, don’t click on it right away. Send an email to your friend confirming that they sent the video.
- Also, please remember to stay well clear of shortened links unless you know without a doubt where that link will take you. That includes most bit.ly and owl.ly links. Here’s a recent article about short links.
- Right now there are a lot of scams out there. Read our article about Covid19 scams.
Information about Geek For Hire, Inc.
Chris Eddy of Geek For Hire, Inc. has been providing computer service to families and small businesses with Mac’s and PCs for the past eighteen years. Angie’s List and the BBB rate Geek For Hire very highly. You can find more on our website, or give us a call 303-618-0154. Geek For Hire, Inc. provides onsite service (Tier 3 support) to the Denver / Boulder / Front Range area as well as remote service throughout North America.
We’ve been using Amazon Prime for the past few years. We like the free and fast shipping. With Prime, we have access to online streaming too. Prime is usually $119/year, but you can get a free 30-day trial by clicking on this link: Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.