We frequently drive along the Peak to Peak Highway. Usually I know I should just keep my phone tucked away because it’s not going to work. But sometimes, you really need to make a phone call or send a text. Here are some of the more reliable places to get AT&T cell service in the mountains from Estes Park to Black Hawk:
- Estes Park has pretty good service throughout the city.
- The highway near Lily Lake has surprisingly good service.
- Service is sparse or non-existent until Gordon’s Gulch, near mile marker 37.5.
- The next spot is just north of Sugarloaf Road, for about a half mile.
In Nederland, service is pretty good from Magnolia road on the south to the Community Center on the North. Service is very good from the Black Forest restaurant to the Fire Station.
Heading south out of Nederland, you can get a cell signal for much of the highway all the way to the Gilpin High School. There are small sections where there’s no service at all, and other sections where the service is marginal. So, if you need to place a phone call or send a text, here are some places to try:
- You can get a reasonably good signal for about a 1/2 mile both north and south of Rollinsville, around mile marker 21.
- Service is pretty good near the Lump Gulch Creek, from about mile marker 17.5 to mile marker 19. You can get a signal near the Last Shot restaurant, but it’s not a strong signal!
- Service near the Gilpin County Library isn’t great, but it’s usable.
- Just south of the intersection of Highway 46 and 119, south to mile marker 12, service is good.
- From mile marker 12 to the Gilpin County School, cell service is usable.
- The City of Black Hawk has very strong service.
I hope this helps you as you explore the mountains west of the Front Range. Let us know if you know of any additional spots!
Information about Geek For Hire, Inc.
Chris Eddy of Geek For Hire, Inc. has been providing computer service to families and small businesses with Mac’s and PCs for the past eighteen years. Angie’s List and the BBB rate Geek For Hire very highly. You can find more on our website, or give us a call 303-618-0154. Geek For Hire, Inc. provides onsite service (Tier 3 support) to the Denver / Boulder / Front Range area as well as remote service throughout North America.
We’ve been using Amazon Prime for the past few years. We like the free and fast shipping. With Prime, we have access to online streaming too. Prime is usually $119/year, but you can get a free 30-day trial by clicking on this link: Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.